Friday, March 11, 2011

oh the things you can think

(...when you think about seuss...)

i went to "seussical the musical" last night at a local middle school, to support a relative of mine, miss d. she's an amazing middle school gal, that i am secretly obsessed with because a) she's somehow related to me via mom's marriage (i think she's a second cousin?) and b) she reminds me (and my mom) of myself when i was little. she invited me to her musical via facebook, and since ol' fb is so good at reminders for social events, i couldn't help but remember the event every time i logged in. to be honest, i was pretty honored she invited me, and i didn't think twice about going. (plus i love her mom, so sitting with her during the play would be even more fun). 

the seusssical was lovely.... lots of awkward preteens singing nonsensical words and opening night mishaps and silly plots and great, creative costumes. i personally was impressed with the sour kangaroo character's voice (american idol season 15, perhaps?) and the ad libbing skills of horton the elephant ('i guess i'm going to the circus.... i said, i guess i'm going to the circus.... [jumps off prop and pushes it himself] i guess i'll take myself there!). i was also, of course, proud as punch at miss d, who played the most adorable Who, and had the best Who-Hair i'd ever seen on any real live person. 

and, if i'm being honest, the evening also brought up a bit of nostalgia and longing for me... watching awkward, adorable kids and their parents and being in a school building named after a horse, sitting in little folding chairs in the middle of the suburbs, well. it got my heart going a bit. now, i'm not a huge one to make plans, or get excited about things that i'm not sure are or are not going to happen. in fact, as i get older, i think i become a titch more cynical and even less nostalgic than normal. however, watching the kiddos do their thing, and just have fun and take simple pleasures in their seussicalling and proud parents, well. like i said, it got my heart going. 

so thank you, miss d and fam-that-i-am-somehow-step-related-to, for inviting me in to be a part of your adorable family for the evening. thank you for the honor of inviting me, and thank you for the ticket and letting me share in your family fun and allowing me to escape the reality of single adulthood by hiding out at the local suburban middle school to watch Whos and Wickershams and Gertrude and Horton. oh the things i can think, when i think about seuss... 


No comments:

Post a Comment